How are Americans over the age of 65 doing when it comes to the dental health in Reston?
The Good News:
- The rate of cavities in the elderly has decreased in the past thirty years.
The Bad News:
- 25% of persons age 65+ have no remaining teeth
- Nearly 20% have untreated tooth decay
- 10% of adults 65 and over have moderate to severe periodontal disease.
- There is evidence to suggest that advanced gum disease is linked to diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and respiratory disease
- Most older Americans don’t have dental insurance
Clearly, there is room for improvement. What critical elements will help improve dental health in Reston for those over 65? The National Institutes of Health cite three required components:
- Improved oral health education for the elderly
- Seniors practicing effective daily oral hygiene
- Increased access to dental care
At Expressions Dental Care in Reston, we are dedicated to providing our elderly patients with comprehensive oral health education and attentive care that addresses the special challenges that influence seniors. These challenges include difficulty brushing and flossing due to arthritis, dry mouth caused by prescription medications, tooth sensitivity, bone recession, and complications due to diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
Improving Dental Health in Reston
We want our elderly patients to not only have a healthy smile but a beautiful one as well. Many of our senior patients have elected to improve their smiles with treatments such as dental crowns, dental bonding, porcelain veneers, dental implants, and tooth whitening. The majority of our smile redesign patients are thrilled with their new smile and report that it has improved their lives immensely. They feel happier, more attractive, and more confident in social settings. The personable team at Expressions Dental Care provides the full spectrum of general and cosmetic dental services for Reston area patients of all ages including cosmetic dentistry, dental implants, and sleep apnea/snoring treatment. For more information about dental health in Reston, schedule a consultation with us today!